I feel that I rarely make posts that involve happenings on a more personal level. Places, events, eateries…I am all over that stuff.
Here is a post about feelings and sharing, mmmkay?
I think that I am (hopefully) well defined by what I love. That is what I choose as the focus of my blog. I try my best not to be a h8er. It happens to the best of us but why waste precious time and energy by dwelling on that stuff?
As I approach the 35 years old mark, I’ve realized that those things are, truly, my most precious assets. I’ve been shocked at how little energy I am able to muster at the end of the day compared to when I was younger. I was able to function the day after the Antibalas concert on 2.5 hours of sleep and I was so thrilled with myself. I get up at 5:30 am most days so it’s rare for me to be out past my bedtime (which, nowadays, is about 9:30). Yup, I’m not 21 anymore.
So, what do I love as of late?
– I mentioned Antibalas. I’m obsessed. I listen to lots of bands with bad ass horn sections. I adore retro soul/funk. Daptone Records is a huge favorite. I am also a classic rock junkie. I enjoy going to see live music. There is a new music venue opening in Harvard Square called The Sinclair. They have an impressive line up of shows and I have Martha Wainwright tickets already! This will be my fourth time seeing her.
– I can’t get enough Barismo coffee. I’ve never been one to drink much of it but, in the past few months, I’ve been drinking as many as two cups per week. To top it off, they’re not even decaf! Chris and I walk to Barismo almost every weekend. I’m thrilled that they’re taking over the spot a few doors down from where they are because it’s slightly bigger and since there’s a bathroom, there will be seating.
Geez, decaf and early bedtimes. I do sound like a little old lady!
– I can add to that list by saying that I really like the humble diner near my house. Nothing fancy. No hipsters. The words local, organic or seasonal appear nowhere on the menu. I love the AM radio station that they always have on. I also enjoy their pancakes. I can easily walk there from our place and I dig how in tune with my community that I feel.
– I really love Junot Diaz. Just this week, he won the McArthur Genius Fellowship grant so, evidently, I am not the only one. True story: He came in to where I work one day. I recognized him pretty quickly and had a bit of a fangirl moment when he confirmed who he was. I believe my exact words were: Oh my GOD! It IS you!!! I really admire his work. His nonfiction is as gripping as his fiction. He has inspired me for years as a writer. How could I not flip out a bit upon meeting him? He was cool and gracious which only makes me love him more. He has a new book and, unfortunately, I’ve missed his local readings but there are a few more coming up and I plan on being there, for sure! I joked with some of my friends that it may have been for the best that I missed his first few events because if I’d gone to as many as I wanted to initially, he may have thought he had a serious stalker on his hands!
– I am enjoying the fall and everything that comes with it. The foliage makes me practically giddy and it’s only just beginning to burst with color. Hot chai with half and half, cozy layers and alpaca socks. What could be better? I decided to let Molly have a party with a few of her friends. We both love Halloween. I’ve been busting out some flair for work. Some bright eye makeup and socks. I’ll be going in full costumes starting next week. I’ve been strongly encouraged by the CEO of Clover to step it up so I’d better bring it! That’s another thing about me, I rarely hesitate to make a fool of myself. I’m not a very serious person.
– I get really excited by the new wave of trucks. Food and retail trucks are all over the city! I love working on a truck and I am always excited to check out some of the other mobile offerings around town. Boston just celebrated Fashion Week. A slew of retail trucks were parked at City Hall. I really like the Fashion Truck so I was thrilled to see that she has some good company. Lola’s Urban Vintage, Sneakerbox, Brkfst Club and ARTichoke were all parked by the Government Center T stop yesterday. I picked up the nifty shirt in the picture above from ARTichoke. It’s a really sweet truck! Their postcard/coupon has Dusty Springfield (LOVE her!) and Frank Zappa so I took it as a sign to buy something. Chris is currently obsessing over Frank Zappa. Do you have any idea how many YouTube videos I’ve had to watch while listening to my husband profess how brilliant of a guitarist he was?
– Last, but not least, I love that HONK! has finally returned this weekend!!! I was out at Johnny D’s last night for the kick off show. We will be heading out shortly to watch some of the 35 different bands play in Davis Square today. This event is not to be missed!
Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.